16-19 Bursary

The 16 to 19 Bursary Fund is money the government gives to schools, colleges and other education and training providers to give to students who need financial help to stay in education.

What a bursary is for

A bursary is money that you, or your education or training provider, can use to pay for things like:

  • clothing, books and other equipment for your course
  • transport and lunch on days you study or train

From September 2017 Sheffield families will be required to make a contribution of £540 for Post 16 Special Educational Needs transport. Families in receipt of the Post 16 bursary will be expected to use this fund to make their contribution.

There are 2 types of 16 to 19 bursaries:

  • vulnerable bursary of up to £1,200 a year for young people in one of the following groups:
    • in care
    • care leavers
    • in receipt of Income Support, or Universal Credit in place of Income Support, in their own right
    • in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance(ESA) or Universal Credit and Disability Living or Personal Independence Payments in their own right

*If your child receives ESA you cannot claim child benefit for your child.

  • The Discretionary bursary is awarded to meet individual student needs. For example, transport, meals, books and equipment.  If you don’t fall into one of the vulnerable groups, but you need financial help to stay in education because you have a low household income, are on benefits and/or receive free school meals, you can apply for a discretionary bursary. In Sheffield this is an income below £16,190

Students who wish to apply for the 16-19 Bursary are advised to speak to Year Team Support. If a student wishes to apply for the discretionary bursary they are advised to apply as soon as they are able for that academic year, but would be able to apply throughout the year providing there is still funding available.

For more information please see https://www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund/overview

For Government benefits advice: https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/entitlement

For independent benefit advice contact the Citizens Advice Bureau 03444 113 111 https://citizensadvicesheffield.org.uk/

Developed by
Primary ICT Support
Copyright © 2019 Talbot Specialist School
All Rights Reserved